AC Inverter (110V & 220V)
Recommended Brand: Victron Energy
- Converts DC power (from leisure batteries) to AC power
- Powers standard household devices that require 110V (or 220V) power
- For laptops, kitchen appliances, water heaters, hair dryers, etc
What Is An ‘Inverter/Charger’?
An inverter/charger is an inverter that can also convert AC power back to DC power to charge the leisure batteries when plugged into shore power. This recommended Victron Multiplus unit is an inverter/charger combo.
What Size Inverter Do You Need?
Different vans require different amounts of 120V AC power. Therefore, different sized inverters are required. Fill out the two part form below for a quick & accurate inverter recommendation.
Frequently Bought Together
There are three parts to properly wire an inverter/charger. Below are the recommended components and tools to accomplish each part.
Part 1: Wiring Inverter To Batteries (& Bus Bars)
- 2/0 AWG Wires (Red & Black) – These wires connect to the inverter to the bus bars. Learn more about this wire.
- Copper Lugs – Crimps onto the 2/0 AWG wires and connects directly to the bus bars.
- Bus Bars – Power distribution and collection centers. Learn more about what bus bars are.
- Hydraulic Lug Crimper – Use this tool to crimp the copper lugs onto the copper wire.
Part 2: Wiring Inverter To Power Outlets
- 12/3 AWG Wire – Use this flexible triplex wire to connect the inverter to power outlets. Learn more
- 15A Circuit Breaker & Box – This circuit breaker protects the wire and downstream electrical devices from unexpected over-current situations.
- Gang Box & Power Outlet – The gang box holds the power outlet in the wall.
Part 3: Wiring Inverter/Charger Shore Power
- 12/3 AWG Wire – Use this flexible triplex wire to connect the inverter to the power inlet.
- 15A Shore Power Inlet- The inverter connects to the backside of this inlet and the extension cord plugs into the front.
- Extension Cord – Make sure you get a high quality, 12AWG, extension cord. Many cheap cords are often 14-16AWG.
Where To Install The AC Inverter
Inverters are an integral part to any camper van conversion build. Below is a sample wiring diagram illustrating how to install an inverter in your van.
5 x 10 x 20.5 inches
Input / Output Power Voltage
12V / 120V